1 the act of passing from one state or place to the next [syn: transition]
2 a section of text; particularly a section of medium length
3 a way through or along which someone or something may pass
4 the passing of a law by a legislative body [syn: enactment]
5 a journey usually by ship; "the outward passage took 10 days" [syn: transit]
6 a short section of a musical composition [syn: musical passage]
7 a path or channel or duct through or along which something may pass; "the nasal passages" [syn: passageway]
8 a bodily process of passing from one place or stage to another; "the passage of air from the lungs"; "the passing of flatus" [syn: passing]
9 the motion of one object relative to another; "stellar passings can perturb the orbits of comets" [syn: passing]
10 the act of passing something to another person [syn: handing over]
- A paragraph or
section of text or music with particular meaning.
- passage of scripture
- She struggled to play the difficult passages.
- passage of scripture
- Part of a path or journey.
- He made his passage through the trees carefully, mindful of the stickers.
- A movement in classical dressage, in which the horse performs a very collected, energetic, and elevated trot that has a longer period of suspension between each foot fall than a working trot.
- The official approval of a bill or act by a parliament.
- The company was one of the prime movers in lobbying for the passage of the act.
- An artistic term describing use of tight brushwork to link objects in separate spatial plains. Commonly seen in Cubist works.
- A passageway or corridor.
- An underground cavity, formed by water or falling rocks, which is much longer than it is wide.
- The vagina.
section of text or music
part of a journey
an official agreement of a bill or act
- Japanese: 通過 (tsūka)
See alsorite of passage
- A paragraph or section of text with particular meaning. ~ of scripture.
EtymologyFrom passer#French + -age
- The act of going through a place or event.
- The time when such an act occurs.
- Circulation, traffic, movement.
- Moment when a star or planet occults another,or crosses a meridian.
- A short stay.
- A trip or travel, especially by boat.
- The act of going from a state to another.
- Graduation from a school year.
- The act of making something undergo a process.
- the act of handing something to someone.
- An access way.
- A laid out way allowing to go across something.
- An alley or alleyway off-limits to cars.
- A paragraph or section of text or music.
Passage may refer to:
- Section (music), a complete musical idea
- Period (music), about 8 measures
- Phrase (music), about 4 to 8 measures
- Passage (Carpenters album), an album by American brother/sister duo The Carpenters
- Passage (Samael album), an album by Swiss band Samael
- Passage (Bloodrock album), an album by the Texan hard rock band
- The Passage (band), a punk rock band from the UK
- Passages, an album by Philip Glass
In other meanings:
- Passage of scripture (see Pericope), a selection of verses from a book of the Bible
- Passage (architecture), a long room or hall leading to other rooms
- Passage (dressage) a horse's high-legged trot
- Passage Island (disambiguation)
- A narrow street with walls or buildings on both sides
- Strait, a narrow channel of water that connects two larger bodies of water
- Passage (novel), a science fiction novel by Connie Willis
- The Passage, an upscale department store in Saint Petersburg, Russia
- The Passage (Battlestar Galactica), an episode of the science fiction television series
- The Passage (film), a 1979 film starring James Mason and Malcolm McDowell
- The Passage (2007 film), a film by Mark Heller
- Passage (2008 film), a documentary about Arctic explorers
- The Passage (album), a 2004 album by steelpan player Andy Narell
- Passage (game), a computer game
- In legislative procedure, an official agreement of a bill or act by a parliament
- Passage West, a town in County Cork, Ireland
passage in German: Passage
passage in French: Passage
passage in Italian: Passage
passage in Japanese: パッセージ
passage in Dutch: Passage
Brownian movement, about-face, abysm, abyss, acceptance, access, acciaccatura, accomplished fact, accomplishment, achievement, act, acta, action, adit, adoption, advance, advancement, advancing, adventure, air lock, aisle, alchemy, alley, allowance, alteration, ambulatory, anacrusis, angular motion, aperture, appoggiatura, approach, approval, arabesque, arcade, areaway, arrangements, arroyo, artery, article, ascending, ascent, assimilation, assumption, authorization, avenue, axial motion, back matter, backflowing, backing, backward motion, bass passage, becoming, blow, book, bourdon, box canyon, breach, break, breezeway, bridge, burden, cadence, cadenza, canto, canyon, career, cavity, change, change-over, channel, chap, chapter, chasm, check, chimney, chink, chorus, citation, clause, cleft, cleuch, climbing, cloister, clough, coda, col, colonnade, coloratura, column, commerce, communication, commutation, concurrent resolution, conduction, conduit, connection, constitution, contagion, convection, conversion, corridor, coulee, couloir, coup, course, covered way, crack, cranny, crevasse, crevice, crossing, cruise, current, cut, cwm, dealing, dealings, deed, defile, delivery, dell, deportation, descending, descent, development, diapedesis, diffusion, dike, dissemination, ditch, division, doing, doings, donga, downward motion, draw, drift, driftage, duct, ebbing, effort, egress, elapse, embellishment, emigration, enaction, enactment, endeavor, endorsement, endorsing, enterprise, entrance, entranceway, entry, entryway, excavation, excerpt, excerption, exchange, exit, expatriation, exploit, export, exportation, exposition, expulsion, extract, extraction, extradition, facilities, fait accompli, fascicle, fault, feat, ferry, figure, fioritura, fissure, flaw, flight, flip-flop, flourish, flow, flume, flux, folderol, folio, ford, forward motion, forwardal, forwarding, foyer, fracture, freedom, front matter, furrow, furtherance, furthering, gallery, gangplank, gangway, gap, gape, gash, gathering, gest, globe-trotting, go, go-ahead, going, grace, grace note, groove, growth, gulch, gulf, gully, hall, hallway, hand, handiwork, harmonic close, headway, hole, immigration, import, importation, in, in-migration, incidental, incidental note, incision, ingress, inlet, installment, intake, interchange, interlude, intermezzo, intermigration, intersection, introductory phrase, job, joint, joint resolution, journey, journeying, junction, kloof, lane, lapse, lawmaking, leak, leg, legalization, legislation, legislature, legitimatization, legitimization, liberty, line, livraison, lobby, locomotion, loggia, long mordent, maneuver, march, means of access, measure, metastasis, metathesis, metempsychosis, migration, moat, mordent, motion, mounting, move, movement, moving, musical phrase, musical sentence, mutation, mutual transfer, naturalization, notch, nullah, number, oblique motion, ocean trip, ongoing, onrush, onward course, opening, operation, ordainment, orifice, ornament, osmosis, out-migration, outlet, overpass, overt act, page, paragraph, part, pass, passageway, passing, passing over, path, performance, perfusion, pergola, period, peristyle, permission, phrase, plunging, portico, portion, pralltriller, privilege, proceeding, production, progress, progression, progressiveness, promotion, quotation, radial motion, railroad tunnel, random motion, ratification, ravine, re-formation, reconversion, reduction, reflowing, refluence, reflux, refrain, regression, remigration, rent, res gestae, resolution, response, retrogression, reversal, rift, rime, rising, ritornello, road, rolling, rolling on, roulade, route, run, rupture, rush, sail, sanction, scissure, sea trip, seam, section, selected passage, selection, sentence, serial, set, shakedown cruise, sheet, shift, shipment, shipping, sideward motion, signature, single mordent, sinking, slit, slot, soaring, split, spread, spreading, stanza, statement, step, sternway, strain, stream, stroke, stunt, subsiding, swarm, swarming, switch, switch-over, tailpiece, text, thing, thing done, thoroughfare, tour de force, tourism, touristry, trade, traffic, trafficking, traject, trajet, transaction, transduction, transfer, transfer of property, transference, transformation, transfusion, transit, transition, translation, translocation, transmigration, transmigration of souls, transmission, transmittal, transmittance, transplacement, transplantation, transposal, transposition, travel, traveling, traversal, traverse, trek, trench, trend, trip, trough, troughing, troughway, tunnel, turn, turning into, tutti, tutti passage, underpass, undertaking, upward motion, valley, variation, verse, vestibule, visa, void, volte-face, volume, voyage, wadi, way, way in, work, works